If you’re looking for a new spin on your usual masala chai, then this recipe is for you! Caramel Chai is fun to prepare, and combines the intricate flavors of chai with the creaminess and sweetness of caramel. Without further ado, here’s the recipe:
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup of Milk (Dairy/Oat/Almond)
- 2 Tea Bags or 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Masala Chai Blend
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Caramel Syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Salt (for a Salted Caramel Twist)
In case you don’t have a masala chai blend on hand, you can create your own by combining:
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger or a Small Ginger Knob, Grated
- 2 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder or Half a Cinnamon Stick
- 2-3 Bulbs of Green Cardamom
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper or 2-3 Peppercorns
- 1 Star Anise (alternatively, you can use a pinch of Fennel Seeds)
- 1 Tablespoon Black Tea
- Begin by boiling the water in a saucepan. Once boiling, add the masala chai blend (tea bags or loose leaf). If you’re making the masala chai from scratch, add in the spices and tea.
- Let It boil for about 5 minutes, and then add milk. Once the milk has full been incorporated into the chai and begins boiling, turn off the heat.
- Add the caramel, and optionally the salt to the hot cup of chai and stir.
- If you’re making the chai from scratch or using a loose leaf blend, strain the caramel masala chai before pouring it into a cup. For tea bags, simply remove them and pour the chai as usual.
- For an extra twist, top off your chai with a dash of cinnamon, and whipped cream or steamed milk foam!