If you're looking for a delicious, comforting winter beverage that combines the best of both tea and coffee, look no further than the Dirty Chai Latte. This sweet and spicy twist on a conventional chai latte is perfect for chilly mornings or evenings. With the cool of fall and winter right around the corner, let's get down and dirty (chai lattes)!
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup strongly brewed coffee (espresso works well!)
- 6 tbsp milk (suggested use: dairy; may substitute for non-dairy options)
- 6 tbsp loose black tea leaves or 2 Chaibag tea bags
- 3 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger (ground or grated)
- 1 tsp cardamom (ground)
- 1/2 tsp cloves (ground)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (ground)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Recipe Steps with loose tea leaves:
- Boil the cup of water in a kettle. Transfer the boiled water to a stove-top vessel and add the sugar and spices. Let this mixture come to a boil on medium-to-high heat.
- Add the loose tea leaves and allow the tea to brew in the boiling water for a couple of minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add the milk. Turn the heat back up to medium, stirring occasionally to mix the milk uniformly in the chai brew.
- Notice the chai brew change color with the addition of milk, and allow it to come to a boil again.
- Take the prepared chai off the heat and pour it into your favorite mug over a strainer, to collect the masala and tea leaves above your mug.
- Add the brewed coffee to your chai mixture.
- Boil the cup of water in a kettle. Transfer the boiled water to a stove-top vessel and add the milk and sugar. Let this mixture come to a boil on medium-to-high heat. Boiling the water, milk and sugar together will really help bring the chai flavors home, when you steep the Chaibag tea bag.
- Take this mixture off the heat and pour it into your favorite mug.
- Add the 2 Chaibag tea bags and steep them for a couple of minutes, removing thereafter.
- Add the brewed coffee to your Dirty Chai mixture.
- Milk: while dairy milk is a conventional choice, you may choose non-dairy options if preferred
- Sugar: you may choose to substitute with any other sweetener such as raw sugar, honey or stevia
- Strength of tea: the more loose tea leaves you use and the longer you boil the tea leaves or steep the teabag, the stronger the taste of the tea will be
Ta-da!!! Cozy-up with your Dirty Chai Latte and envelope yourself in strong fall vibes.