Traditionally, chai has been brewed in India using just four basic ingredients: black tea leaves, water, milk and sugar (optional). However, masala chai or spiced Indian tea, is an irresistibly delicious variation, which is super simple to prepare:
Prep time: 5 minutes, Brew time: 10 minutes
Quantity: 1 cup
- ⅔ cups water
- ⅓ cup milk (suggested use: dairy; may substitute for non-dairy options)
- 1 tbsp loose black tea leaves or 1Chaibag
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger (ground or grated)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (ground)
- 1/4 tsp cloves (ground)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (ground)
Recipe Steps with loose tea leaves:
- Boil the cup of water in a kettle. Transfer the boiled water to a stove-top vessel and add the sugar and spices. Let this mixture come to a boil on medium-to-high heat.
- Add the loose tea leaves and allow the tea to brew in the boiling mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add the milk. Turn the heat back up to medium, stirring occasionally to mix the milk uniformly in the chai brew.
- Notice the chai brew change color with the addition of milk, and allow it to come to a boil again.
- Take the prepared chai off the heat and pour it into your favorite mug over a strainer, to collect the masala and tea leaves above your mug.
- Boil the cup of water in a kettle. Transfer the boiled water to a stove-top vessel and add the milk and sugar. Let this mixture come to a boil on medium-to-high heat. Boiling the water, milk and sugar together will really help bring the chai flavors home, when you steep the Chaibag tea bag.
- Take this mixture off the heat and pour it into your favorite mug.
- Add the Chaibag and steep it for a couple of minutes, removing it thereafter.
It's certainly quicker to prepare your masala chai using our ChaiBag, as you save time on measuring out the chai and complete the pre-ChaiBag steps together.
- Milk: while dairy milk is the conventional choice for chai, you may choose non-dairy options if preferred
- Sugar: you may choose to substitute this with raw sugar or honey, in the same quantity
- Strength of tea: the more loose tea leaves you use and the longer you boil the tea leaves (or steep the Chaibag) for, the stronger the taste of the tea will be
Enjoy your cup of masala chai, assured that your wellness has never felt simpler or tasted better!