Perfect the Art of Chai Latte
Chai Latte, which gained popularity in the Western world as Chai Tea Latte, is certainly a force to be reckoned with. It beautifully straddles dichotomy, as exotic with a note of familiar, as comfortable with a tinge of cool. It is totally a fall-and-winter drink, but you can enjoy it whenever and wherever you like. Here's how:
Prep time: 5 minutes, Brew time: 10 minutes
Quantity: 1 cup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (suggested use: dairy; may substitute for non-dairy options)
- 1 tbsp loose black tea leaves or 1 Chaibag tea bag
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 inch piece of ginger (ground or grated)
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
Recipe Steps with loose tea leaves:
- Boil the cup of water in a kettle. Transfer the boiled water to a stove-top vessel and add the sugar and spices. Let this mixture come to a boil on medium-to-high heat.
- Add the loose tea leaves and allow the tea to brew in the boiling mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add the milk. Turn the heat back up to medium, stirring occasionally to mix the milk uniformly in the chai brew.
- Notice the chai brew change color with the addition of milk, and allow it to come to a boil again.
- Take the prepared chai off the heat and pour it into your favorite mug over a strainer, to collect the spices and tea leaves above your mug.
Recipe Steps with ChaiBag tea bag:
- Boil the cup of water in a kettle. Transfer the boiled water to a stove-top vessel and add the milk and sugar. Let this mixture come to a boil on medium-to-high heat. Boiling the water, milk and sugar together will really help bring the chai flavors home, when you steep the Chaibag tea bag.
- Take this mixture off the heat and pour it into your favorite mug.
- Add the Chaibag tea bag and steep it for a couple of minutes, removing it thereafter.
It's certainly quicker to prepare this beverage using our ChaiBag, as you save time on measuring out the chai and complete the pre-Chaibag steps together.
- Milk: while dairy milk is the conventional choice for chai, you may choose non-dairy options if preferred
- Sugar: you may choose to substitute this with maple syrup or honey, in the same quantity
- Strength of tea: the more loose tea leaves you use and the longer you boil the tea leaves (or steep the Chaibag) for, the stronger the taste of the tea will be
Coziness is a state of mind - so fix yourself this cup of comfy anytime, anywhere!